What is Modern Quilting?
- Modern quilting takes many forms. Some elements of modern quilting you’ll see at our guild meetings are:
- Playing with color in new and interesting ways
- Exploring the use of negative space
- Using color placement to emphasize a design
- Using modern fabrics
- Playing with traditional blocks in a new way
- Experimenting with scale, asymmetry, or non-repeating patterns
Who can join the Salt Lake MQG?
- Anyone with an interest in modern quilting! We have members of all levels of skill and experience. If you’re interested in learning more about quilting, want to share what you’ve done, or are looking to see what other people are doing with modern quilting, this is the place to do it! You don’t need to quilt exclusively Modern quilts to join our guild, many of us don’t.
How much are dues? What does it pay for?
- Our annual dues are $30. About half goes to pay for our membership in the MQG. The rest of our dues pay for guest speakers and other events.
How often does the guild meet?
- We usually meet the third Thursday of the month at 7 pm. Check out our calendar for a more accurate schedule!
- We also have Sew Saturdays on the second Saturday of odd numbered months. We are still looking for a more permanent sewing space, so check our calendar and events page for the location of our next Sew day.
What can I expect at a Monthly Meeting?
- We begin with announcements, followed by Show and Tell, an opportunity for all members to share with the guild what they have been working on, followed by a speaker or activity and then treats and chatting. We try to start right at 7pm, but late-comers are welcome
Do I have to pay dues to attend a meeting, or can I try before I buy?
- We ask all regular attendees to pay dues, but you can absolutely come and check us out before paying dues! Feel free to bring a friend! We do have some meetings that require dues to participate in, however. Dues must be paid to participate in our annual fabric dyeing and mini swap activities. Dues must also be paid to check something out from the guild library or participate in the guild Facebook group.
How can I contact the guild?