What is Modern Quilting?
- Modern quilting takes many forms. Some elements of modern quilting you’ll see at our guild meetings are:
- Playing with color in new and interesting ways
- Exploring the use of negative space
- Using color placement to emphasize a design
- Using modern fabrics
- Playing with traditional blocks in a new way
- Experimenting with scale, asymmetry, or non-repeating patterns
Who can join the Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild (SLMQG)?
- Anyone with an interest in modern quilting! We have members of all levels of skill and experience. If you’re interested in learning more about quilting, want to share what you’ve done, or are looking to see what other people are doing with modern quilting, this is the place to do it! You don’t need to quilt exclusively Modern quilts to join our guild, many of us don’t.
How much are dues? What does it pay for?
- Our annual dues are $35. About half goes to pay for each person’s membership in the national Modern Quilt Guild. The rest of our dues pay for guest speakers and other events. Click the JOIN button at the top right to be taken to our PayPal page. (We appreciate it if you choose “Friends and Family” instead of “Goods and Services” just before you click the pay button! Be sure to list your name and Dues in the PayPal comment.)
How often does the guild meet?
- We usually meet the third Thursday of the month at 7 pm. Sign up for our newsletter to be notified in advance of upcoming meetings and events.
- We have near-monthly Saturday sew-ins at local libraries. Sometimes we sew our own projects, sometimes we sew charity quilts!
What can I expect at a monthly meeting?
- We begin with announcements, followed by a speaker or activity, a “notion share,” and end with Show and Tell, an opportunity for all members to share with the guild what they have been working on. We try to start right at 7pm, but late-comers are welcome.
Do I have to pay dues to attend a meeting, or can I try before I buy?
- We love visitors and welcome members to our delightful, supportive community! You may absolutely come and check us out before officially joining and paying dues. Some events require payment for non-members, such as our annual dye day and guild-funded activities (varies). For example, we have a mini swap every May for current members only, and dues must be paid to check something out from the guild library or participate in the guild Facebook group.
How can I contact the guild?